Hello everyone! Kumar Suraj here…

Forums General Forums Beginners Area Hello everyone! Kumar Suraj here…

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    SARubin
    • Topics - 73
    • Replies - 99
    • Wordsmith
    • ★★★

Hi Kumar Suraj,
    Welcome back. I thought we lost you for sure with that last one.

Hey SARubin,

The assignment fried my brain, to say the least. I grilled my brain for five days straight before giving up on it. I could not accommodate the four points that you mentioned to have in the headline, and I thought hard.

Yes, that last assignment was a tough one.

Honestly, I never expected someone just starting out to be able to come up with 20 headlines using all 4 U’s.

Truth be told, it’s not really necessary in every headline anyway. And besides, that wasn’t the point of the assignment…

The task was mainly designed as an exercise to get you to stretch your mind a little. (Like a physical exercise that strengthens your physical muscles).

Sorry about “frying” your brain. But look on the bright side… just the fact that you can still write in complete sentences is a good sign there’s no lasting brain damage 🙂

The best I could come up with were:

• Higher conversions and response of your emails, guaranteed!
    • Emails that are guaranteed to convert your reader, and increase your profits
    • If my emails don’t double your subscribers, and increase your profit by 20 percent, I will pay double your money back.
    • With every weak email, you are pushing your potential client away. Emails written by me would grab your readers attention, and convert them to your subscribers. Starting today!
    • Your competition uses professional quality emails that pull your potential clients away from you. It’s time you do the same.
    • If you think your emails are not getting getting you as much subscribers as they should be, then I can help you. I will write emails that would rope in your readers and convert them to your loyal subscribers.

Now, these are pathetic headlines. And I agree. I could not think of headlines which would have all the four points given by you, and I did not want to show up without doing anything.

Not pathetic at all. A couple of the headlines you came up have real potential.

Again, I am sorry for not being able to complete the assignment.

That’s OK, I didn’t really expect you to finish it (see my 1st answer above)

The assignments I’ve given you so far are mostly a way for me to learn, and gauge where you’re currently at with your skills and abilities.

I’m happy to help guide you towards where you want to go (time and resources permitting), but it helps if I know where we’re starting from.

Anyway, Kumar Suraj, if you’d like to try another exercise, I think right now another good one for you will be to write some email subject lines.

These are the siblings of the sales page headline. They serve nearly the same purpose (to get your ideal clients attention and interest, and get them to read your first line of copy).

But with email subject lines we’re limited on space, (and we have to contend with spam filters).

So try to keep it under 60 characters. And remember that some email clients, like smartphones, may only show half that many characters at first glance.

Which means the first few words need to be the most important, attention grabbing words in your subject line. Try to make them “Benefit First” headlines.

So if you’re ready, here’s the scenario…

You’re a freelance copywriter looking for clients.

The first thing you should do is decide which niche you want to write for. This will help you determine who your ideal client is and who you’re sending the emails to .

Then spend a day or two researching that niche and the people who are in it. Try to find out what their triggers or concerns are.

HINT: Social media platforms are a good place to start your research. And visiting potential clients websites can often tell us quite a bit about individual company values.

Then, once you have your niche, and an understanding of the business owners world… Write out at least 10 email subject lines, about your writing services, that can be used for testing your “market to message match”.

When you’re done, let me know what niche you chose and what steps you took to research your email recipients.

Then we can look at your subject lines and see what you came up with.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon…

All the best,
    Steve

P.S. And remember, even if you don’t have much to say it’s still a good idea to check in at least once a week with a progress report. Otherwise I can’t tell if you’re still interested or not.

Granted, I’m not actually your client. But in the real world, a client who doesn’t hear from you regularly will often fire you and go hire someone else for your job.

Keeping in touch just let’s people know you didn’t bail out on them, and it also gives you an opportunity to make sure you’re still moving in the right direction on any particular project.

A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
    SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Rate Optimizer

Kumar Suraj
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 13

Hey!

It is a little relief to know that writing 20 headlines for a beginner is no easy task. In my mind I had begun to question my writing abilities. How good could I be if I could not write “just 20 headlines”?

No kidding.

The lesson I learnt is this- Writing is easy, writing headlines is not.

Back to the latest assignment, there are a couple of niches that I know a lot about:

1. Weight- loss. This is because I lost over 25 pounds myself, a year earlier. That time I could not afford an instructor, so I did all the research, and found pretty much all the answers on my own. I am well aware of the myths, as well as the facts on losing weight.
    2. Personal Development. I ran a blog for over two years dedicated to the self-help and self-improvement. It required tons of research and their application to separate hack from the hacksaw.
    3. Filmmaking. It is another one of my passion. I love to make people feel things by showing them moving images. So, I know tons about that too.

The ball is in your court. If you want, I can begin writing email headlines on any one of the three, or I could look up a completely different niche and research about that if you ask me to.

Another question- do I have to write email headlines for the clients which the business owners could use as a “test email”, or do I have to write for myself- to convince them to hire me?

I did not understand the “market to message match” phrase. I apologize if this is a stupid question.

SARubin
    • Topics - 73
    • Replies - 99
    • Wordsmith
    • ★★★

Hey!

It is a little relief to know that writing 20 headlines for a beginner is no easy task. In my mind I had begun to question my writing abilities. How good could I be if I could not write “just 20 headlines”?

No kidding.

The lesson I learnt is this- Writing is easy, writing headlines is not.

Yes, it’s no easy task for any of us. But if you stick with it, one day you’ll be able to write 20 or more.

Back to the latest assignment, there are a couple of niches that I know a lot about:

1. Weight- loss.
    2. Personal Development.
    3. Filmmaking.

The ball is in your court. If you want, I can begin writing email headlines on any one of the three, or I could look up a completely different niche and research about that if you ask me to.

The choice is yours to make, Kumar Suraj. Picking something you already know can certainly cut down on research time. And it’s probably the best way for you to go.

Weight-loss and Personal Development are always popular and in demand, so there’s plenty of different businesses, and different sub niches you can write for in those categories.

Personally, I don’t know much about Filmmaking. I’d be interested to know a little more about that one?

But the choice is entirely yours.

Another question- do I have to write email headlines for the clients which the business owners could use as a “test email”, or do I have to write for myself- to convince them to hire me?

The assignment was “You’re a freelance copywriter looking for clients” so we’re still in the realm of B2B (Business 2 Business) with this one.

So let’s do the second one where you’re “convincing them to hire you”.

I did not understand the “market to message match” phrase. I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all. And I apologize for using Jargon.

“Market to Message Match” basically just means we’re matching our message (copy) to our target markets current buying criteria.

We’re trying to match what our customers want, with what we’re selling. Using words as our messenger.

A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...

Kumar Suraj
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 13

One last question before I proceed to writing- can you give me one example of what the headline should look like.  Just one.

SARubin
    • Topics - 73
    • Replies - 99
    • Wordsmith
    • ★★★

I can give you some examples, but that doesn’t mean my examples will work for your particular market.

The thing to remember with headlines, and sales copy in general, is there’s no magic formula that will work every time in every market.

Copywriting samples and formulas can be used as guides, but the only people saying there’s a “magic formula” to copywriting, are the people trying to sell you their “magic formula”.

In the real world it’s all about understanding your market… testing your message… measuring the response… making changes… and testing again until we get the best possible results.

The true craft of sales copy starts with the basic foundation of sales. And then we adjust our message to connect with a particular market segment.

That’s where researching the market comes in. The more you know about your customers fears, or desires, the easier it is to come up with testable headlines they’ll respond to.

One reason I’m having you write multiple headlines (and subject lines) is so you get a feel for writing them, and also so you have something ready for split testing.

If you send your email to 100 people, and 30 of them open it, then that’s great.

But if only 2 people open your email, then you’ll already have other subject lines you can test to try and get a better open rate.

All that said… As far as what makes for good subject lines…?

When I did a lot of email marketing, two of the better performing formulas (if you can call them formulas?) were the “curiosity” subject line, and the “direct benefit” subject line.

Curiosity subject lines can be very effective at getting people to open your email. Curiosity lines could be as simple as…

Are you making this 1 mistake with your email marketing?

This would mostly resonate with B2B recipients who are already using email marketing. Most of them will at least want to know what that 1 mistake is (just to see if they’re making it)

Pretty much anything that makes people curious to know what you’re talking about, can get them to open the message. And if your subject looks useful to their business it can increase open rates even more.

Direct benefit lines could be something like “How to get_____ in only _____ minutes a day” (fill in the blanks)

This can give people a tangible benefit to think about. And if they’re interested in what you’re offering, they’ll open the email.

If you can find the contact persons name through your research (usually a business owner or marketing manager) then personalization can be effective. Something like…

Hey Suraj, here’s something that can help you with your email marketing…

This one may get cut off on many recipients emails.

But even if they only see Hey Suraj, here’s something that can help you with your…

Personalization, combined with useful curiosity might still entice people to open the email.

The examples I just gave are generic examples, and like I said above, that doesn’t mean they’ll work for your particular email campaign.

It all comes down to understanding your audience, and giving them something they want.

Let me ask you a question…

If you were running a business in your chosen niche, and you needed help with your email marketing, what kind of a subject line would get your attention and make you open the email?

Start with that mindset.

And if you want a few more ideas, here’s a couple of blog posts I wrote a while ago that might help you think about how to write your headlines.

Just remember, even my blog posts are only guidelines… Not “magic formulas”.

Essential ingredients for powerful headlines – (Part 1 of 2)

Essential ingredients for powerful headlines – (Part 2 of 2)

Kumar Suraj
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 13

Here is the assignment that you gave me. I chose to write as an email marketer for filmmakers looking to get more clients for their services.

This perspective helped a lot- “If you were running a business in your chosen niche, and you needed help with your email marketing, what kind of a subject line would get your attention and make you open the email?”

You asked for 10, but I thought to push my brain a little, and came up with 20. From what I have learnt from you about copywriting, some of these are bad. But some are very good too.

Here they are:

• The number 1 thing your clients want to know about filmmaking
    • Filmmaking tips your clients want to know
    • The #1 mistake all filmmakers make in their marketing emails
    • Writing this in your emails gets your more clients
    • Want more clients in filmmaking? Email this…
    • Focused email marketing techniques for filmmakers
    • No BS approach to email marketing for filmmakers
    • Proven email marketing tactics for filmmakers
    • Clients look for this 1 thing when hiring filmmakers
    • Here’s how your emails get more clients for your filmmaking business
    • Having this in your email sets you apart from other filmmakers
    • Use this in your emails to boost your filmmaking career
    • Clients know you are a pro when you have this in your emails
    • Here’s how pro filmmakers get clients with their emails
    • Philip Bloom uses this trick in his emails to get more clients ( / SaRubin- Philip Bloom is a pro filmmaker who has been in the filmmaking business for over 27 years and has won many awards for his films.)
    • Emails that get you more clients than you can work with
    • Everything you know about email marketing is WRONG!
    • Email marketing is different for filmmakers. Here’s how…
    • Emails that will erase your client-getting stresses forever
    • Emails that would have clients fight for your filmmaking services

Let me know my areas of improvements.

Waiting eagerly for your reply.

Kumar Suraj
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 13

Update?

SARubin
    • Topics - 73
    • Replies - 99
    • Wordsmith
    • ★★★

Well, I was waiting to see if you were going to finish the other half of the assignment? (the important half)

The assignment was to write out at least 10 email subject lines, and also to let me know what steps you took to research your email recipients.

I see that you chose the film making niche, but did you do any market research?

How do you know that filmmakers even want what you’re selling?

Did you visit any prospective websites and sign up for their email lists?

Did you speak with any filmmakers to see if they know (or even care) what copywriting is?

Did you hang out in any chat rooms and hear filmmakers asking for ways to improve their email marketing?

Do they even do email marketing in the first place?

You did the easy part (putting words on a page) but effective sales copy is about more than just putting words on a page.

75% of all sales is understanding your market.

What do they want, what do they need, what are they willing to pay for?

Because you can be a great copywriter, but if nobody wants what you’re selling you’ll end up being the best copywriter in the unemployment line.

When you first emailed me a couple months ago, asking for free help becoming a professional copywriter, I put my hesitations and reservations aside, and I offered to help you. But I’m not convinced that you’re actually dedicated to the task of learning.

In my first post I asked if you had any sales experience… You ignored the question

Later I handed you an assignment to write 20 headlines… You disappeared for two weeks

And now you did half of an assignment… And ignored the half you didn’t want to do

Honestly, I’m getting a little bored trying to help you when you keep ignoring me.

Look, you’ve already got a raw talent for writing descriptive and engaging content, and those abilities can help provide you with a successful career writing articles and blog posts. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that career path.

On the other hand, if you’re interested in becoming a master sales person, here’s the biggest and final lesson I can possibly teach you right now…

It’s not about what you can do – It’s about what the other person wants, and what you or your product can do to help them get what they want.

Once you truly understand this, it will give you the secret foundation to all sales.

And then you can build on that foundation with all of the formulas, techniques and copywriting tricks.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do

Kumar Suraj
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 13

Okay. Thank you for the guidance.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums General Forums Beginners Area Hello everyone! Kumar Suraj here…

Skip to toolbar